Visions of the Wild Film and Arts Festival presents
A Global Recycled Plastic Art Challenge
Rescue plastic trash of any shape or size destined for a landfill and make art!
Open to youth and adults around the world who live close to 38° North Latitude
Here are some places on the 38th north parallel of latitude:
Vallejo, California | St. Louis, Missouri | Louisville, Kentucky | Annapolis, Maryland | Athens, Greece | The Azores: Palermo, Sicily | Dushanbe, Tajikistan | Niigata, Japan | Seoul, South Korea
- Collect discarded plastic. Wash it. Take a “before” picture.
- Create art with it. You may cut up the plastic, glue it together, paint it, melt it or other processes to create two-dimensional or three-dimensional pieces. Take an “after” picture. (See examples on the Plastic Arts Websites tab)
- Write a short Artistic Process Statement which includes:
- How and where you collected your recycled plastic
- What was your “aha” or surprising moment you had in creating your art piece
- Your thoughts on plastics in the environment
- Your wish for the future in creating a world free of plastic pollution
You can enter once a month between 1 October 2020– 31 March 2021 Submit your entry by the last day of the month. An entry consists of the photos and Artistic Process statement submitted on the form below.
- One winner from each age group (5-9, 10-12, 13-15, 16-18, 19+) will be selected monthly between 1 October 2020 and 31 March 2021
- Photos of monthly winning art pieces will be featured on the Visions of the Wild website
- Age group Finalists will be selected in APRIL from among the monthly winners
- Prizes will be awarded
$50 – Ages 5-9
$50 – Ages 10-12
$75 – Ages 13-15
$75 – Ages 16-18
$100 – Ages 19+
$500 – Ages 16-18
$500 – Ages 19+
- The Art Challenge honors the 50th anniversary of Earth Day
- Show the world a fresh student viewpoint of how we can become more locally aware citizen-custodians of the environment!
- To compare what you see to other students along the 38th parallel in different parts of the U.S.A. and the world!
School: Alta Heights
Napa, CA USA
School: Cave Language Academy
Vallejo, CA USA
School: MIT Academy Griffin Technology Academies
Vallejo, CA USA
School: Silverado Middle School